Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why?

I am telling you, that 'why' word is sure annoying when you hear it all day every day after E V E R Y T H I N G that you say. My mom shared her secret response, which I use regularly. I have a couple other responses that I pull out from time to time, just to mix things up. It has become a habit to follow most things I say with a "why?" So, here is our conversation in the car the other day:

LM: I am not going to say "why" anymore, mommy.
Me: Oh, that would be wonderful.
LM: I am going to say "what" instead.
Me: How come?
LM: Then you can't tell me that "why is a crooked letter". (my mom's response)
Me: Darn, is that the only reason?
LM: WHAT?

Now, as a point of clarification, that would be all well and good if he actually did it. But, "what" is the second most spoken word by Little Man. He will burst out with a "WHAT?" before you even finish what you are saying. It is well on its way to surpassing "why" even before he made this statement... which is really too bad. We don't call him out on the 'what' just yet, we just ignore it, but I tell you, if he consciously is going to switch things up on us, we are going to have to remove all "W" words from his vocabulary... sorry Will.

No comments: