Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Save the Meatballs

This evening in the car, we were singing some songs to pass the time and so that they boys would forget just how hungry they were. The Little Man was not a big fan of On Top of Spaghetti. When I finished the song, here is the response I got.

Oh, that is so sad. The boy didn't have his meatball anymore. Why did it roll away? Where did it go? How come it didn't stay on the spaghetti? That is terrible. What is he going to do? He doesn't have a meatball anymore.
(he went on and on about each verse... why was it mush? why did it grow into a tree?
why did it have meatballs on it? how did it do that? why did it do that?)


Seriously, he was sad. He looked like he was about to cry. If I had known that he was going to react this way, I never would have sung that song. But, I explained that it was a silly song, and that meatballs wouldn't really roll out the door. Usually you just eat them. He still didn't go for it. He was quite sad about the whole matter. I can only assume that he a) really, really likes meatballs or b) is the kindest, gentlest boy and really was empathetic. I actually think it might be both.

No comments: