Wednesday, May 23, 2007

No more encore's, please!

We are home and as recovered as it gets. To put and end to the suspense, the Grand Finale mentioned in my last post was indeed 'grand'. Needless to say, I won't be taking the boys on a red eye by myself again.

Here is a recap:

  • The Little Man was sick on Sunday, but seemed to recover in the evening. Went to bed around 7:30pm. The Squeaker, who was healthy, decided to throw a fit, instead of going to bed.
  • Woke the LM at 8:30. Put both boys in car and headed to airport.
  • Ga-Mommy went through security with us, to help out... luckily... since I was flagged for extra security screening (includes a puffer machine and checking my bags, shoes and clothing for explosives) - if I was holding a child, that child would also have to be screened (as well as their belongings - we had a lot of carry-ons, so luckily I could go by myself)
  • We board plane at 10:30pm. LM hasn't fallen back asleep and Squeaker took a 20 min nap on way to airport.
  • beginning of flight - LM in car seat awake, uncomfortable and crying for me to hold him because he can't sleep. Squeaker asleep in my arms.
  • LM has spiked a fever again and is REALLY tired. I change car seat around and swap kids.
  • LM whining and complaining and for good reason - he throws up what little food he has eaten during the day. After getting cleaned up, changed clothes and settled down, he still can't sleep and watches part of Finding Nemo. Falls asleep (quite uncomfortably) in his own seat halfway through. Squeaker wakes up.
  • Squeaker is tired and keeps trying to put himself back to sleep -- um, that should have said - keeps trying to scream himself to sleep. (This is 'normal', we will be working on that in a couple days, stay tuned)
  • Screaming Squeaker, being seated in last row next to bathrooms and brightly lit galley wake up LM frequently, who whines and gets into a different awkward position to fall back asleep for 10 min or so at a time.
  • Squeaker finally sleeps for another hour or so, uninterrupted. Mommy wishes she could have slept then. LM thrashing around, moaning and complaining.
  • End of flight - LM is soooooooooooooooooo excited to see Daddy he starts crying tears of joy. "My Daddy, my Daddy, he waiting for me, my daddy is at the airport." The airplane could not have got to the gate soon enough.
  • Daddy takes his comatose family home and tucks them all in bed for a 3+hour nap. yeah.

That day was shot, as we were all tired and useless. Everyone felt better Tuesday, or so I thought. On the way to playgroup, LM throws up again... so, after getting cleaned up, we turn around and head to the doctor to check ears and chest for both boys.

Today was pretty good... Squeaker is quite snotty and LM's off and on fever has not appeared since last night, and we seem to be caught up on sleep. So, now on to sleep training for Squeaker and getting healthy for both boys.

Whew, glad I got all that off my chest. I am sure that all future flights will seem uneventful after this excursion, right?!

No comments: